Arcata PC-601 - History

Arcata PC-601 - History

Arcata

II

(PC-601: dp. 280; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'0"; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k. (tl.);
cpl. 65; a. 13", 2 20mm., 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PC-461)

PC-601 was laid down on 17 March 1942 at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the Consolidated Shipbuilding. Corp.; launched on 23 May 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Junius Morgan; and commis- on 1 September 1942, Lt. G. D. Tammers, USNR, in command.

The subchaser conducted shakedown training along the east coast of the United States in September and October and, in November, reported for duty with the West Sea Frontier. By the spring of 1943, she had begun to escort ships among bases on the Alaskan coast and in the Aleutian Islands.

A year later, early in April 1944, the ship proceeded to Seattle for two months of duty before continuing south to San Francisco where she served until late September. At that time, the subchaser moved west to Pearl Harbor. Early in October, she headed for Eniwetok in the Marshalls. Upon her arrival there, PC-601 began escorting convoys between American bases in the Marshalls, the Marianas, and the Carolines. She remained so occupied through the end of World War II and into the fall of 1945. After returning to the west coast of the United States via Pearl Harbor in the spring of 1946, PC-601 was placed out of commission at Astoria, Oreg., on 27 July 1946. Berthed with the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, she remained inactive for the rest of her career. In February of 1956, she was named Arcata. Her name was struck from the Navy list in July 1960, and she was sold in April 1961.


Marsh Treatment History

During the past 120 years the shoreline has been developed for industrial, commercial, agricultural, and residential uses significantly decreasing the size of the Bay. Humboldt Bay at one time was believed to have covered 27,000 acres before development began. Reclamation projects reduced the Bay to 17,000 acres.

Shipping facilities were developed in the Bay in the latter half of the 1800s to assist in the export of timber products. At that time, the Arcata community revolved around the bay and its’ shipping.


Our history

July 1982 – Internews is founded in San Francisco and our first project, funded by the Kenall Foundation, is to compile archives of films, TV shows, and documentaries about nuclear war.

September 12, 1982 – Internews creates the first “Spacebridge,” a two-way satellite link-up between Soviet youth in Moscow and Americans. Our production era culminates with “Capital to Capital,” linking the US Congress via satellite with Deputies in the Supreme Soviet, on ABC news and throughout the Soviet Union. The series earns Internews an Emmy Award.

“We had a non-partisan philosophy. As we tried to bridge the East-West divide we also sought to overcome political ideology itself. Television offered us the perfect means for doing that, because we could take traditional enemies and put them in the same electronic space.”

— DAVID HOFFMAN, co-founder of Internews

July 1, 1989 – Internews moves to Arcata, CA

April 15, 1990 – Internews shifts its focus from producing international television programs to supporting the nascent non-governmental media in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.

June 1992 – Internews opens first field office, in Russia.

November 1, 1993 – Internews and the Jerusalem Film Institute launch a project to develop Palestinian television, including training in news production and election coverage and a conference on Palestinian broadcasting.

November 3, 1994 – With Sarajevo under siege by the Yugoslav National Army, Internews runs the Balkan Media Network, an early version of an electronic bulletin board and email system that connects 250 independent media organizations as well as ordinary citizens in the former Yugoslavia with the rest of the world.

September 23, 1995 – Internews Europe is founded in Paris.

January 15, 1997 – Expansion in Africa: Internews begins providing daily news coverage of the UN Tribunal for Rwanda.

August 27, 1998 – Expansion in Asia: Internews conducts a comprehensive survey of the broadcast media in Indonesia, and subsequently launches an extensive program that provides training, support, and programming to independent radio stations.

January 2001 – Internews launches the Global Internet Policy Initiative.

February 1, 2002 – The Post-9/11 Era: Internews establishes an office in Kabul, Afghanistan to help establish local, professional media.

“Internews is an incredible organization, waging a persistent battle and outperforming anyone else (in media development) in failing states like Afghanistan.” — AHMED RASHID, journalist, author of Taliban and Jihad, and co-founder of The Open Media Fund for Afghanistan with Internews

June 1, 2002 – Expansion in Thematic Journalism: Local Voices launches, to increase accurate and effective coverage of HIV/AIDS, with offices in Kenya and Nigeria. The project later expands to Ethiopia, Cote d’Ivoire, and India.

August 1, 2004 – Internews’ Earth Journalism Network launches, to provide journalists in developing countries with the skills to cover the environment more effectively.

“The story of our environment may well be the most important story of the coming century.”

— ERIC NEWTON, Vice President, Journalism Program, Knight Foundation

January 10, 2005 – With emergency funding from the Knight Foundation, Internews supports humanitarian information radio programs for populations affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami, in Indonesia and Sri Lanka.

October 1, 2005 – The Global Forum for Media Development, organized by Internews and 17 other organizations, meets in Amman, Jordan, uniting hundreds of media support NGOs, journalists, broadcasters and activists from 97 countries.

December 2008 – On the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Internews and the Every Human Has Rights campaign, supported by The Elders, host the Every Human Has Rights Media Awards in Paris.

April 22, 2009 – Internews launches the Earth Journalism Awards for Climate Change Reporting, designed to increase and improve media coverage of climate change around the world.

January 13, 2010 – Emergency media and information programs prove ever more needed and effective, as Internews responds to the Haiti earthquake with daily humanitarian programming.

“Information bestows power. Lack of information can make people victims of disaster . . . People need information as much as water, food, medicine or shelter.” — RED CROSS WORLD DISASTERS REPORT

January 2011 – The ‘Arab Spring’ brings focus and promise to the cause of free media in the Middle East, while long-standing Internews programs support emerging independent media makers.

January 1, 2012 – Internews celebrates 30 years, and launches its new logo and tagline: Local Voices, Global Change.

February 2012 – Internews further expands work in response to the ‘Arab Spring’ with a program to support new, independent media in Libya.

January 1, 2013 – As Internet Freedom and Digital Security take on increased importance worldwide, Internews focuses and expands its work through the new ICT Policy and Programs department.

April 2013 – Internews relocates its European headquarters from Paris to London.

August 2013 – Increasing recognition of the role of media and information in emergencies as Internews joins the UK government’s Rapid Response Facility.

January 2014 – Internews launches it’s largest ever program with a 5-year project to grow independent media in South Sudan.

February 2014 – Internews’ emergency response to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines is singled out by the UK Independent Commission for Aid Impact “for highly cost effective, disproportionately positive impacts.”

September 1, 2014 – Internews opens a Media Resource and Training Center in Mogadishu, Somalia.

January 2015 – Internews launches a five-year Women’s Initiative to ensure access to information for women and girls in some of the world’s most challenging places.

June 2015 – Internews launched a project in Myanmar to amplify women’s voices in the peace process

November/December 2015 – A new 5-year, international Strategic Framework, ‘Information Changes Lives’ approved by US and UK boards, and formally launched.

October 2016 – Internews mounts another emergency response in Haiti, this time in response to Hurricane Matthew.

March 2017 – “News That Moves,” a project to provide vital information to refugees in Mediterranean countries, secures a finalist position at the Bond International Development Awards.

September 2017 – Internews expands its US programs beyond New Orleans with the establishment of the Learning Post Collective.

November 2017 – United for News, led by Internews in collaboration with the World Economic Forum, is established to help transform local media markets around the world, so that citizens, businesses and governments everywhere can benefit from the positive impact of high-quality, local news and information.

January 2018 – Internews celebrates its 35th anniversary.

October 2018 – Internews launches its first UK program – supporting community media. This landmark initiative is designed to cement the vital social role of grassroots, volunteer-led media in the UK.

January 2019 – Internews developed its strategic plan for 2020-2025. We developed the five elements of a healthy information environment and outlined the four main strengths that Internews has to support communities in becoming healthy.

February 2020 – Internews pivots its programs to address the need for information during the COVID-19 pandemic.

March 2020 – Internews launches Reflect Reality, a manual to help newsrooms include more authoritative female and diverse voices in their stories led by Internews in collaboration with the World Economic Forum.

August 2020 – Internews acquires FilmAid, an organization that harnesses the power of film to educate, inspire and empower refugees and other vulnerable communities around the world.

September 2020 – Internews acquires Newsgain, a leading consultancy that provides business expertise to help news organizations become financially sustainable.


Facilities and aircraft [ edit | edit source ]

Arcata Airport covers an area of 745 acres (301 hectare) at an elevation of 222 feet (68 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways with asphalt surfaces: 14/32 is 6,046 by 150 feet (1,843 x 46 m) and 1/19 is 4,501 by 150 feet (1,372 x 46 m). Ώ]

Being on the Pacific coast of California, the airport falls under the jurisdiction of the California Coastal Commission and major changes to the airport such as rezoning or fencing in the airport require approval by the Commission. ⎚]

The approach flight path for runway 32 passes over Central Avenue, a highly travelled road in the area. The strobe lights that direct planes onto the runway were creating a visual hazard for drivers on Central Avenue as the lights were creating a glare. The problem was especially noticeable during inclement weather when the strobes' intensity was increased and the roadways were reflective from water on the surface. The Federal Aviation Administration's Office of Aviation Research, Airport Technology Research and Development Branch responded to the hazard by installing baffles on the strobes that block the lights from shining on the road while still providing visual guidance for aircraft. ⎛]

For the 12-month period ending May 31, 2011, the airport had 48,164 aircraft operations, an average of 131 per day: 53.5% military, 22% general aviation, 20% air taxi, and 4.5% scheduled commercial. At that time there were 11 aircraft based at this airport: 36% multi-engine, 27% single-engine, 27% military, and 9% jet. Ώ]


Arcata Eureka Airport ACV

Navigate forward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.

Navigate backward to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.

ACV Average Checkpoint Times

Check Times

Gate Connection Times

Flight & Airport Status

Airport status is only available for US airports

Arcata Eureka Airport ACV is the regional airport for Northern California's Humboldt County and also serves Del Norte and Mendocino Counties. All three counties offer spectacular scenery with recreational activities for every taste and budget. The city of Arcata is on the California Redwood Coast.

ACV Airport is located in McKinleyville, near Arcata, and 20 miles north of Eureka. Hwys 101-S and 1-S lead to Medocino County, Hwy 101-N leads to Del Norte County, while Route 299 winds through the Shasta-Trinity area towards Redding.

With 132K passengers per annum, Arcata Eureka Airport is presently served by United Express (tel. 800-241-6522) offering direct flights to San Francisco, while Peninsula Airlines (www.penair.com or call 800-448-4226) flies to Portland International Airport and to Redding Municipal Airport.

The small passenger terminal offers limited services.

Parking is available across from the terminal (for parking information contact Republic Parking at 707-839-0451).


przybrzeżny okręt patrolowy

PHM Patrol Missile Hydrofoil

Patrolowy wodolot rakietowy

PGH Patrol Gunboat Hydrofoil

PCH Submarine Chaser Hydrofoil

Wodolot do zwalczania okrętów podwodnych

Te ścigacze okrętów podwodnych miały 173 stopy długości. Duże braki w numeracji w większej części spowodowane są dzieleniem tych samych numerów z innymi 110 stopowymi ścigaczami.

    przekazany Francji jako FS Sabre (W11) przekazany Francji jako FS Pique (W13) przekazany Francji jako FS Cimeterre (W12)
  • PC/USS PCC-1251 Ukiah przeklasyfikowany na PGM-18 przeklasyfikowany na PCS-1427 przeklasyfikowany na PCS-1465
  • PC-1548 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-9
  • PC-1550 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-19
  • PC-1551 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-20
  • PC-1552 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-21
  • PC-1553 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-22
  • PC-1554 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-23
  • PC-1555 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-24
  • PC-1556 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-25
  • PC-1557 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-26
  • PC-1558 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-27
  • PC-1559 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-28
  • PC-1560 przekazany Francji jako FS Coutelas (W22)
  • PC-1562 przekazany Francji jako FS Javelot (W23)
  • PC-1565 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-29
  • PC-1566 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-30
  • PC-1567 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-31
  • PC-1568 przeklasyfikowany na PGM-32
  • PC-1570 do PC-1585 anulowano
  • PC-1586 ex-USS Adroit (AM-82)
  • PC-1587 ex-USS Advent (AM-83)
  • PC-1588 ex-USS Annoy (AM-84)
  • PC-1589 ex-USS Conflict (AM-85)
  • PC-1590 ex-USS Constant (AM-86)
  • PC-1591 ex-USS Daring (AM-87)
  • PC-1592 ex-USS Dash (AM-88)
  • PC-1593 ex-USS Despite (AM-89)
  • PC-1594 ex-USS Direct (AM-90)
  • PC-1595 ex-USS Dynamic (AM-91)
  • PC-1596 ex-USS Effective (AM-92)
  • PC-1597 ex-USS Engage (AM-93)
  • PC-1598 ex-USS Excel (AM-94)
  • PC / PCC-1599 ex-USS Exploit (AM-95)
  • PC-1600 ex-USS Fidelity (AM-96)
  • PC / PCC-1601 ex-USS Fierce (AM-97)
  • PC / PCC-1602 ex-USS Firm (AM-98)
  • PC-1603 ex-USS Force (AM-99)
  • PC-1610 przekazano Francji jako FS Le Fougueux (P641)
  • PC-1611 przekazany Francji jako FS L'Opiniatre (P642)
  • PC-1612 przekazany Francji jako FS L'Agile (P643)
  • PC-1613 przekazano Portugalii jako Maio (P587)
  • PC-1614 przekazano Portugalii jako Porto Santo (P 588)
  • PC-1615 przekazany Jugosławii jako Udarnik (PBR 51)
  • PC-1616 przekazany Etiopii jako Zerai Deres[1][2]
  • PC-1617 przekazano Portugalii jako Sao Nicolus (P 589)
  • PC-1618 przekazany Francji jako FS P-7
  • PC-1619 przekazany Włochom jako Albatros (F 543)
  • PC-1620 przekazany Włochom jako Alcione (F 544)
  • PC-1621 przekazany Włochom jako Airone (F 545)
  • PC-1622 przekazany Danii jako Bellona (F 344)
  • PC-1623 przekazany Danii jako Diana (F 345)
  • PC-1624 przekazany Danii jako Flora (F 346)
  • PC-1625 przekazany Danii jako Triton (F 347)
  • PC-1626 przekazany Włochom jako Aquila (F 542)
  • PC-1635 przekazano Portugalii jako Brava (P 590)
  • PC-1636 przekazano Portugalii jako Fago (P 591)
  • PC-1637 przekazano Portugalii jako Boavista (P 592)
  • PC-1638 przekazany Turcji jako Sultanhisar (P 111)
  • PC-1639 przekazany Turcji jako Demirhisar (P 112)
  • PC-1640 przekazany Turcji jako Yarhisar (P 113)
  • PC-1641 przekazany Turcji jako Akhisar (P 114)
  • PC-1642 przekazany Turcji jako Sivrihisar (P 115)
  • PC-1643 przekazany Turcji jako Kochisar (P 116)
  • PC-1644 zbudowany dla Danii jako Peder Skram (F 352)
  • PC-1645 zbudowany dla Danii jako Herluf Trolle (F 353)
  • PC-1646 zbudowany w Chile jako Papudo (P 37)
  • PC-1647 anulowano

eskortowe okręty patrolowe i eskortowe okręty patrolowo - ratownicze

    przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilbernie (BEC 1) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilbride (BEC 2) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilchatten (BEC 3) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilchernan (BEC 4) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kildary (BEC 5) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kildwick (BEC 6) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilham (BEC 7) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilkenzie (BEC 8) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilhampton (BEC 9) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmacolm (BEC 10) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmarnok (BEC 11) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmartin (BEC 12) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmelford (BEC 13) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmington (BEC 14) przekazany W.Brytanii jako HMS Kilmore (BEC 15)
  • USS PCER / PCE-843 Skowhegan
  • USS PCER / PCE-847
  • USS PCER / EPCE-851 Rockville
  • USS PCER / EPCER-852 Brattleboro
  • USS PCER / USS Rexburg
  • USS PCER / USS Whitehall
  • USS PCER / USS Marysville
  • PCE-861 do PCE-866 anulowano
  • USS PCE / PCEC-873 przeklasyfikowany na YDG-8
  • USS PCE / USS PCEC-877 Havre przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Buttress (ACM 4) przeklasyfikowany na YDG-9 przeklasyfikowany na YDG-10
  • USS PCE / PCEC-886 Banning
  • PCE-887 do PCE-890 anulowano
  • USS PCE / PCEC-896
  • USS PCE-901 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na USS Parris Island (AG-72) przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Execute (AM-232) przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Facility (AM-233) przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Gavia (AM-363) przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Fixity (AM-235) przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Flame (AM-236)
  • USS PCE-910 anulowano June 6, 1944
  • PCE-911 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Adjutant (AM-351), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-912 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Bittern (AM-352), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-913 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Breakhorn (AM-353), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-914 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Carimu (AM-354), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-915 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Chukor (AM-355), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-916 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Creddock (AM-356), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-917 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Dipper (AM-357), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-918 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na Dotterel (AM-358), anulowano 1 listopada 1945
  • PCE-919 przemianowany i przeklasyfikowany na USS Drake (AM-359)
  • PCE-920 do PCE-934 anulowano anulowano 1 listopada 1945 przeklasyfikowany na PCER-935, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-936, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-937, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-938, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-939, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-940, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-941, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-942, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-943, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-944, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-945, anulowano przeklasyfikowany na PCER-946, anulowano
  • PCE-947 do PCE-960 anulowano przekazany dla Holandii jako Fret (F 818) przekazany dla Holandii jako Hermelijn (F 819) przekazany dla Holandii jako Vos (F 820) przekazany dla Holandii jako Wolf (F 817) przekazany dla Holandii jako Panter (F 821) przekazany dla Holandii jako Jaguar (F 822)

okręty patrolowe typu Eagle

To 60 ukończonych jednostek z czasów II wojny światowej, używających numerów 1-60. Było więcej planowanych, ale ich budowę anulowano.


Arcata PC-601 - History

Official Status: Threatened , the marbled murrelet is Federally listed under the Endangered Species Act as a threatened species in Washington, Oregon and California, and State-listed as endangered in California and as threatened in Oregon and Washington. Critical habitat is designated for the species and a new proposal for critical habitat is available for review. A final recovery plan is in effect.

Date Listed: September 28, 1992 Federal register 57 FR 45328 (pdf, 1.5 MB)

Recovery Plan: Recovery Plan for the Marbled Murrelet (Washington, Oregon, and California Populations, 1997) (pdf, 15MB)



Marbled Murrelet at Sea

Photo Credit: Thomas Hamer, Hamer Environmental L.P

T he marbled murrelet is a small Pacific seabird belonging to the family Alcidae. They are fast fliers with rapid wingbeats and short wings. Males and females have sooty-brown upperparts with dark bars. Underparts are light, mottled brown. Winter adults have brownish-gray upperparts and white scapulars. The plumage of fledged young is similar to that of adults in winter. Chicks are downy and tan colored with dark speckling.

T he breeding range of the marbled murrelet extends from Bristol Bay, Alaska, south to the Aleutian Archipelago, northeast to Cook Inlet, Kodiak Island, Kenai Peninsula and Prince William Sound, south coastally throughout the Alexander Archipelago of Alaska, and through British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, to northern Monterey Bay in central California. Birds winter throughout the breeding range and also occur in small numbers off southern California.

M arbled murrelets are long-lived seabirds that spend most of their life in the marine environment, but use old-growth forests for nesting. Courtship, foraging, loafing, molting, and preening occur in near-shore marine waters. Throughout their range, marbled murrelets are opportunistic feeders and utilize prey of diverse sizes and species. They feed primarily on fish and invertebrates in near-shore marine waters although they have also been detected on rivers and inland lakes.

M arbled murrelets produce one egg per nest and usually only nest once a year, however re-nesting is documented. Nests are not built, but rather the egg is placed in a small depression or cup made in moss or other debris on the limb. Incubation lasts about 30 days, and chicks fledge after about 28 days after hatching. Both sexes incubate the egg in alternating 24-hour shifts. The chick is fed up to eight times daily, and is usually fed only one fish at a time. The young are semiprecocial, capable of walking but not leaving the nest. Fledglings fly directly from the nest to the ocean.

M arbled murrelets spend the majority of their lives on the ocean, but come inland to nest. They generally nest in old-growth forests, characterized by large trees, multiple canopy layers, and moderate to high canopy closure. In the non-forested portions of Alaska however, murrelets can also nest on the ground or in rock cavities. In California, nests are typically found in coastal redwood and Douglas-fir forests. These forests are located close enough to the marine environment for the birds to fly to and from nest sites. Nests have been found inland from the coast up to a distance of 50 miles in Washington State.

A ll population modeling efforts to date that predict murrelet population trends in to the future have concluded that the listed population exhibits a long-term downward trend. Monitoring to determine a trend in murrelet populations began in 2000 with standardized at-sea surveys and has continued annually since, as part of effectiveness monitoring for the Northwest Forest Plan. The population point estimates from this monitoring are as follows: year 2000, 18,571 birds year 2001, 22180 birds year 2002, 23,673 birds year 2003, 22,217 birds year 2004 20,578 birds. At least 10 years of surveys are needed to adequately document trends in population size.

T he amount of suitable habitat has continued to decline throughout the range of the marbled murrelet, primarily due to commercial timber harvest. The precise amount of suitable murrelet habitat within the listed range is unknown.

T hreats include loss of habitat, predation, gill-net fishing operations, oil spills, marine pollution, and disease. Recent reviews have concluded that the risk of predation is currently a larger threat then previously considered.

I n general, stabilizing and increasing habitat quality and quantity on land and at sea are the primary means for stopping the current population decline and encouraging future population growth. Conservation actions are categorized by short-term and long-term actions and are identified as follows:


A brief history of Arcata’s Creamery Building

Two towers offer vantage points to view the horizon. Roughly 5,000 panes of glass refract and reflect light, shaping what can be seen inside and out. And, for a century now, a continually changing cast of innovative, entrepreneurial characters has courted commerce and creativity. No wonder Arcata’s Creamery Building has stories from countless perspectives and of variable veracity.

Strung together into a history, a theme of resilience recurs, one held together by a community’s connective tissue—ranging from conveyor belts to comedy to the craftsmanship of a mortise-and-tenon joint. Herein is an attempted grab at that tale.

War, dairies, and decades

In 1917, when the California Central Creamery Co. began construction on its landmark facility in Arcata, cows grazed the nearby bottomlands and the dairy business on the North Coast was booming. Meanwhile, America’s armed forces engaged in the raging “Great War” in Europe, and they needed to be fed. So local productive cows converged in the current of history with the hunger of those fighting a foreign war. And Humboldt County was about to become a world leader in the dairy industry.

In 1918, California Central Creamery’s three facilities in Humboldt County, including its new Arcata plant, filled an order from the U.S. Navy for 750,000 pounds of butter. By January 1919, the Arcata plant was producing 1,500 pounds of Swiss cheese a day.

Renamed Golden State Milk Products Co., and later known simply as “The Creamery,” the facility spent its first four decades processing milk into cheese, butter and milk safe for human consumption. Over the most recent four decades it has sheltered artists, dancers, actors, and other performers—along with a yoga center and a manufacturer of energy-efficient refrigerators. In between, during its middle two decades, it housed a roller rink and later, on the same floor, a Zen Buddhist “Temple Boxing School.”

Groundbreaking for the long haul

The site where it all started, roughly between 8 th and 9 th streets from L to N streets, was chosen for its proximity to the California Barrel Factory (which provided a steady supply of wood waste to power the Creamery’s boilers) and to railroad tracks and the Arcata depot (to ease access to distant markets). About a half-mile west, at Janes Road and 11 th Street, the United Creamery was already operating. To clear space for California Central Creamery’s new plant, two newly built cottages and a two-story freight warehouse were moved, and a hostelry used by Indians (when they came to town for supplies) was demolished.

Anatomy of a Creamery

Ultimately the facility covered about 2.5 acres with an assemblage of six buildings, all of which remain intact. Their exteriors have generally, though not completely, retained their original looks while their interiors have been remade several times over.

The milk-factory building, which faces 9 th Street, was the most prominent. Its 80-foot-high tower was crowned by an ornate octagonal cupola that, before it ceased punctuating the skyline long ago, enclosed a 25,000-gallon water tank. (A 35-foot-deep well on site provided water.)

A milk-receiving station was on the factory’s west side and the boiler building, with its own cement 80-foot tower, was just south of it. (At the inaugural Creamery Festival, in 2013, the boiler tower’s western wall served as a movie screen for a gigantic and somewhat grainy outdoor showing of Buster Keaton’s classic silent movie, The General. A live band provided the sound effects and score.)

West of the boiler building, tucked together in the lot’s southwest corner, were two storage garages for hundreds of milk cans. East of the boiler and due south of the factory was the main warehouse. A courtyard between the warehouse and factory also remains.

Collectively, the facilities cover about 50,000 square feet.

The cost of the original plant’s construction? $100,000.

Inside, the factory was engineered to create a cool, well-lit and well-ventilated workplace to harness and deliver steam for sterilization and other uses and to turn milk into powder and other products, and then send them on their way. It was distinguished by hoses, pipes, valves, vats on wheeled carts, catwalks, 22-foot-high ceilings, the millworks of overhead line shafts with pulleys and taut drive belts, and drains on the floor.

Outside, the symmetry of the prodigious, towering building was accentuated by parapets and facades. According to a 1990 cultural report, “All of these elements—the windows, siding, stem wall and cornice—contribute to the horizontal design of the building, emphasizing its mass and volume.”

It was the neoclassical vision of architect Franklin Thompson Georgeson. Though not quite 29 years old, Georgeson had already designed the Minor Theater, Arcata Post Office and Eureka Women’s Club. Later he would design the Eureka Theater, the Eureka Municipal Auditorium, St. Joseph Hospital, at least five local schools and many more local buildings. (His father, Fred W. Georgeson, was president of Humboldt County First National Bank and mayor of Eureka.)

Recognizing the architectural uniqueness of the building, in 1990 the Arcata City Council amended its zoning to include LHP – Landmark Historic Preservation.

Down the timeline, and the road

During the Depression, the Creamery and the barrel factory, right across 8 th Street, kept many Arcatans employed and, during World War II, the Creamery provided tons of powdered milk to the military.

After serving in the U.S. Army in World War II, Ben Spini, now 93 and living in McKinleyville, returned home and hired on with the Creamery, driving a milk truck from 1948 to 1952. Spini, who just might be the last living person to have worked at the facility, mostly drove the Bayside-Freshwater run, picking up full 10-gallon milk cans from the “milkhouses” and bringing them to the milk-receiving station.

“There were also two routes in the Arcata Bottom,” Spini said recently. “And one in McKinleyville/Dow’s Prairie/Crannell, and one out West End and Blue Lake, and one truck went clear to Orick….

“We could haul something like 80 to 90 cans. During the spring and early summer, when there was a lot of milk, the heavy milking season, I’d have three or four rows of cans on top of the other cans.”

Any spillage? “Not actually. Unless you hit a bump. Then the ones at the back of the truck would bounce up a little and lids would go up and you’d get a spray,” he said. “But we knew our routes and you knew where the bumps were.”

As the drivers picked up the milk every morning, Spini said, they also left the morning’s newspaper on the front porch or in the milkhouse for many of the dairy families who were off the main roads. And, because “the water wasn’t so good out on the Bottom,” every Monday the drivers would also deliver “four, five or six cans of hot, boiled water,” freshly sterilized by plant’s hoses streaming jets of steam into the cans just before the dawn’s departure.

Tower of powder, blocks of butter

They also dropped off orders of butter and cheese for the ranch families but the drivers were there mainly to pick up milk and deliver it to the plant.

“It was unloaded on the west side,” Spini said. “It’d go on a conveyor belt, and go up the chain, make a right turn, and get dumped into a loading tank. They’d weigh it, take samples, flush it into holding tanks. Some of it would go to several huge butter churns—to make butter—and some of it was made into powdered milk…. Sometimes I’d finish off the day loading 60-pound blocks of butter into refrigerator trucks, and off they’d go to San Francisco.”

The offloading, Spini said, was overseen by Archie Bernardi, who started at the Creamery right out of high school, in 1933, worked there for 26 years, and later became Arcata’s fire chief. Archie’s brother, Emory, “more or less was in charge,” Spini said, and the milk had to pass muster.

“We called the inspector ‘The Mugman,’” he said. “If the milk didn’t pass the test, they’d put blue food coloring in it (to mark it unsuitable), and we’d take it back to the ranch, and it’d be given to the pigs and such so it wouldn’t be wasted.”

To power the powderization of milk, wood chips from the barrel factory were conveyed on a belt to the top of the boiler tower, where they were mixed with a diesel-like oil to create a fuel that was burned to turn water to steam—used for power, heating and sterilization. High up inside the factory’s tower, newly conveyed milk was released, left to gravity to fall past “evaporators” that lined the wall. Consisting largely of steam-blasting jets, they instantly transformed the milk cascade into a shower of fine white dust: milk powder. Outside the building, however, the power behind the process emitted a black, oily smoke that settled around town, along with ash from a smattering of teepee burners.

Meanwhile, the emptied milk cans, Spini said, “would go through a revolving can-washer, get hit with steam, and come out the other end clean, and we’d load them back on the truck, ready for the next day…. And we’d wash our trucks daily because all the milkhouses were next to the barns. At some of them, you had to drive right through the barnyard to get to the milk—and you know what that means.”

By the end of the 1950s, Golden State Milk Products was bought by Foremost Dairies, Inc., and the Arcata plant became little more than a regional collecting site where milk was transferred from small trucks into tankers and sent on its way to the main plant in Loleta. By 1959, that reduced role had been milked for all it was worth and the Creamery complex was sold to the Norris Brothers, a firm of two local lumbermen siblings, Bill and Dick Norris, and their father, Don Norris.

For about 14 years, through the ‘60s and into the ‘70s, the complex housed various entities, including a truck maintenance and repair shop, building painters, and—most notable to the youth of the era—a roller rink on the ground floor of the former factory building. As tenants shuffled in and mostly out, the structures became used increasingly for storage.

By 1969, Cal Barrel, the Arcata train station and the United Creamery had vanished from the landscape and the Creamery was in serious decline. At some point, local realtor Jim Marvel and his son, Lee, bought the building.

Marvel – the story’s hero

In 1970, Son Hae, a Buddhist Zen master from Los Angeles in his early 30s, established The Internal School at the Creamery, converting about 7,000 square feet of space, including the roller rink, into the “Blue Dragon Zen Temple,” a Buddhist retreat and training center, where kung fu was taught.

In its heyday, The Internal School enrolled about 100 students and hosted teachers of various religions. It included 19 residential rooms and a commercial kitchen. The school moved out in 1977.

At the time, the Creamery’s current owners, husband and wife Brian and Lisa Finigan, were also tenants, making a go of their furniture-making business and getting discounts on rent for doing repairs. Then the elder Marvel approached them about buying the Creamery.

Jim Marvel, in his 80s at the time, was the unsung hero of the story, the linchpin to Creamery Building’s survival, according to the Finigans. The building, in its 50s at the time, was, according to Brian, in a “dangerous get-ready-for-whatever’s-next phase and buildings don’t last too long in that phase. They get forgotten, neglected, used for storage. It was waiting for a dozer.”

“Jim saved it,” said Brian. “He was a sweet guy, really honest, spiritual… a little burned out on it, but smart, generous and caring… our fairy godfather. He told us to buy it.”

But the Finigans lacked credit, so Marvel accepted equity in a Blue Lake house they owned. As Brian tells it, “He laid out the (purchase) papers and said, ‘Sign. Sign. Sign. It’s yours. Bye.’”

“That’s the real story,” said Lisa. “There’ve been a lot of myths. Some folks thought my grandfather gave it to me—and he didn’t even live around here.”

As children, Lisa and Brian had skated at the Creamery roller rink. They met each other at College Elementary School (now Gist Hall at Humboldt State) and hung out together at Arcata High School, where, according to Brian, “Lisa was a star in woodshop.”

The Finigans saw the facility’s potential as an incubator for artists, including some of their “broke and talented” friends. They included Stock Schlueter, Jim McVicker, John Wesa, Suk Choo Kim and George Van Hook. Sundance Leather moved in, as did Holly Yashi jewelry.

Meanwhile, every roof leaked and thousands of window panes needed repair.

The Finigans almost felt like they were in over their heads at times, Lisa said. “I remember the two of us with these little prybars removing three layers of old roofing tar, breaking off piece by piece of a 110- by 120-foot completely waterlogged roof. Roofing nails everywhere. We got it totally stripped, all prepped up—and then it rained.”

“But,” Brian said, “it’s great now.”

Among the Finigans’ first tenants was the Pacific Art Center Theater (PAC). Guided by Gordon Townsend, it earned a reputation for producing Shakespeare and edgier fare. Its run lasted from 1977 to 1994.

Local actor Bob Wells (who portrays architect Franklin Georgeson in a current commercial for the Creamery Arts Festival) performed in several PAC productions—including “Twelfth Night,” “Hamlet” and “Waiting for Godot.”

“In ‘Prelude to a Kiss’ I was this old man who kissed this woman at a wedding, and we exchanged souls,” he said. In PAC’s last production—“Saturday, Sunday, Monday”—he played the next-door neighbor to a fun dysfunctional Italian family arguing all the time. “Really weird.”

Since the non-profit cooperative Dancenter first moved in during the 1980s, various enterprises have drawn dancers of many styles onto the former roller rink. The Dancenter moved out in 2007.

Then came Shoshanna, who opened her Redwood Raks dance studio there in 2008, offering lessons ranging from tango to break-dancing to swing to Zumba.

“I’ve been in love with this building since 1994,” she said. “We have the best dance floor in the universe. When you’re barefoot, when you’re social dancing, it’s a dream. But it’s too slippery for ballerinas, and we won’t let tappers on our floor.”

The surface, she said, makes sound travel through the building more boldly and “samba’s the loudest.” Recently an African dance workshop reverberated through the walls.

Lights go up on the Playhouse

In 2007, the non-profit Playhouse Arts – more commonly known by its venue, the Arcata Playhouse – moved in with its mission to build community through the arts. That means casting a net for local talent in place-based theatrical productions, such as its “Women of the Northwest” historical plays and its annual holiday show—which, in the spirit of the Creamery, might have a cheesy number or two. In 2016, it began an annual partership-staging of a Ferndale Repertory Theatre production on the Playhouse stage. (“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolff” arrives in February 2018.)

The Playhouse also provides workshops for children (you try making and then walking in stilts), connects artists with local schools, and presents touring world-class performers, including for its annual “Family Fun Series.”

Defining, refining a ‘district’

David Ferney and Jackie Dandeneau, the Playhouse’s founders and leaders, have also guided recent efforts to create the Creamery District, a distinct arts-infused neighborhood of diverse endeavors. The first Creamery Arts Festival, a three-day eclectic public party in 2013, served as an open house with sideshows, showcasing the district’s potential. In 2015, the City of Arcata officially greased the tracks, changing the zoning to allow a broader mix of uses. Now, across 9 th Street are spots to buy hard cider and hot coffee, and at least two new restaurants are well past the drawing board.

Ferney calls it a renaissance, one made possible by community support—such as a $60,000 from the Rotary Club and donated material and labor for major renovations to the Playhouse’s kitchen and stage lighting—and the Finigans’ quiet commitment over four decades to foster a community of artists.

“Brian and Lisa have made it possible for a diverse community of visual artists, dance, theater, woodworking, pottery, puppeteers,” Ferney said. “The key thing, the base, is its affordability. It’s kind of a gift from the gods.”

Maybe it’s the continuing legacy of Jim Marvel’s generosity.

The Finigans made it a haven, Ferney said, one imbued with history, tall ceilings, some funkiness. “Both towers are renovated,” he said. “There’s the yoga studio. A lot’s getting done to elevate the building as a whole, and the neighborhood’s getting fixed up.”

Dandeneau calls it a “confluence” where creative artists come together, “sponsored” by the Finigans’ offer of low rent. “There’s a lot of bleed-through,” she said. “Sometimes you hear what’s happening on the other side of the wall. We all work together to make things work…. It’s not a sterile building.”

History still hangs out

Indeed, non-spoiled vestiges of milk-product manufacturing remain. For example, Dandeneau and Ferney’s office a century ago was the heart of the factory building, so the floor slopes downward toward a drain. Thus, so rolled Dandenou’s office chair—until a repurposed floor from the set of a Dell’Arte production (of Moliere’s “Tartuffe”) was put down.

The current roster of more than 20 tenants runs heavy in the arts, and it includes a vacation rental with a rooftop terrace, a vintage clothing boutique, a martial-arts school and the office of a non-profit that promotes affordable housing.

One very-long-time tenant—Larry Schlussler’s Sun Frost company, known primarily for manufacturing highly energy-efficient refrigerators—recently moved out.

Schlussler set up shop there during the Marvel era and has been distributing his innovative technology to clients around the world since. Sun Frost expanded its product line to include energy- and water-saving showers and composters for the home, including a toilet called the “Human Humus Machine.” Moving in to its place is an art studio.

Next door, plans are in the works for the State of Jefferson Public House, a family-friendly restaurant where beer mugs and milk glasses can clink to toast a landmark.

“The Creamery’s going to come back to being an economic hub in Arcata,” said Dandeneau. “That’s exciting…. People feel the history.”

Sean Kearns serves on the board of Playhouse Arts (the Arcata Playhouse). From 1984 to 1987, he was on the staff of the Arcata Union. In between are decades of details.

A note on sources: Aside from the interviewees, information for this article came from a 1979 Historic Resources Inventory by Susie Van Kirk, the City of Arcata’s 1990 ordinance to amend the Creamery area’s zoning and an accompanying cultural report by Katie Stanton, the Humboldt Times, the Times-Standard, the Arcata Union, the North Coast Journal, the United Buddhist Church, the Arcata Zen Group, and the obituaries of Archie Bernardi and William Norris.

Do you have something to add? A story? A photo? A good idea for a source? A clarification for the timeline? If so, please send an email to [email protected] , call (707) 822-1575, or write to or visit the Arcata Playhouse at 1251 9 th St., Arcata, CA, 95521.


PG, kanonneerboot

  • USS PGM-1 ex-SC-644
  • USS PGM-2 ex-SC-757
  • USS PGM-3 ex-SC-1035
  • USS PGM-4 ex-SC-1053
  • USS PGM-5 ex-SC-1056
  • USS PGM-6 ex-SC-1071
  • USS PGM-7 ex-SC-1072
  • USS PGM-8 ex-SC-1366
  • USS PGM-9 ex-PC-1548
  • USS PGM-10 ex-PC-805
  • USS PGM-11 ex-PC-806
  • USS PGM-12 ex-PC-1088
  • USS PGM-13 ex-PC-1089
  • USS PGM-14 ex-PC-1090
  • USS PGM-15 ex-PC-1091
  • USS PGM-16 ex-PC-1148
  • USS PGM-17 ex-PC-1189
  • USS PGM-18 ex-PC-1255
  • USS PGM-19 ex-PC-1550
  • USS PGM-20 ex-PC-1551
  • USS PGM-21 ex-PC-1552
  • USS PGM-22 ex-PC-1553
  • USS PGM-23 ex-PC-1554
  • USS PGM-24 ex-PC-1555
  • USS PGM-25 ex-PC-1556
  • USS PGM-26 ex-PC-1557
  • USS PGM-27 ex-PC-1558
  • USS PGM-28 ex-PC-1559
  • USS PGM-29 ex-PC-1565
  • USS PGM-30 ex-PC-1566
  • USS PGM-31 ex-PC-1567
  • USS PGM-32 ex-PC-1568
  • USS PGM-33 naar de Filippijnen als Camarines (PG 48)
  • USS PGM-34 naar de Filippijnen als Sulu (PG 49)
  • USS PGM-35 naar de Filippijnen als La Union (PG 50)
  • USS PGM-36 naar de Filippijnen als Antique (PG 51)
  • USS PGM-37 naar de Filippijnen als Masbate (PG 52)
  • USS PGM-38 naar de Filippijnen als Mismamis Occidental (PG 53)
  • USS PGM-39 naar de Filippijnen als Agusan (G 61)
  • USS PGM-40 naar de Filippijnen als Catanduanes (G 62)
  • USS PGM-41 naar de Filippijnen als Romblon (G 63)
  • USS PGM-42 naar de Filippijnen als Palawan (G 64)
  • USS PGM-43 naar Birma als PGM-401
  • USS PGM-44 naar Birma als PGM-402
  • USS PGM-45 naar Birma als PGM-403
  • USS PGM-46 naar Birma als PGM-404
  • USS PGM-47 naar Denemarken als Daphne (P 530)
  • USS PGM-48 naar Denemarken als Havmanden (P 532)
  • USS PGM-49 naar Denemarken als Najaden (P 534)
  • USS PGM-50 naar Denemarken als Neptun (P 536)
  • USS PGM-51 naar Birma als PGM-405
  • USS PGM-52 naar Birma als PGM-406
  • USS PGM-53 naar Ethiopië als PC-13
  • USS PGM-54 naar Ethiopië als PC-14
  • USS PGM-55 naar Indonesië als Bentang Silungkang (P 572)
  • USS PGM-56 naar Indonesië als Bentang Waitatiri (P 571)
  • USS PGM-57 naar Indonesië als Bentang Kalukuang (P 570)
  • USS PGM-58 naar Ethiopië als PC-15
  • USS PGM-59 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Kim Qui (HQ 605)
  • USS PGM-60 naar Zuid-Vietnam in mei Rut (HQ 606)
  • USS PGM-61 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Nam Du (HQ 607)
  • USS PGM-62 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Hoa Lu (HQ 608)
  • USS PGM-63 naar Zuid-Vietnam als naar yen (HQ 609)
  • USS PGM-64 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Phu Du (HQ 600)
  • USS PGM-65 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Tien Moi (HQ 601)
  • USS PGM-66 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Minh Hoa (HQ 602)
  • USS PGM-67 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Kien Vang (HQ 603)
  • USS PGM-68 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Keo Ngua (HQ 604)
  • USS PGM-69 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Dienh Hai (HQ 610)
  • USS PGM-70 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Truong Sa (HQ 611)
  • USS PGM-71 naar Thailand als T-11
  • USS PGM-72 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Thai Binh (HQ 612)
  • USS PGM-73 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Thi Tu (HQ 613)
  • USS PGM-74 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Song Tu (HQ 614)
  • USS PGM-75 naar Ecuador als Quito (LC 71)
  • USS PGM-76 naar Ecuador als Guayaquil (LC 72)
  • USS PGM-77 naar de Dominicaanse Republiek als Betelgeuze (GC 102)
  • USS PGM-78 naar Peru als Rio Sama (PC 11)
  • USS PGM-79 naar Thailand als T-12
  • USS PGM-80 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Tat Sa (HQ 615)
  • USS PGM-81 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Phu Quoi (HQ 617)
  • USS PGM-82 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Hoang Sa (HQ 616)
  • PGM-83 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Hon Troc (HQ 618) vluchtte in 1976 naar de Filippijnen
  • USS PGM-91 naar Zuid-Vietnam als Tho Chau (HQ 619)
  • USS PGM-102 naar Liberia als Alert
  • USS PGM-103 naar Iran als Parvan (PGM 211)
  • USS PGM-104 naar Turkije als AB-21
  • USS PGM-105 naar Turkije als AB-22
  • USS PGM-106 naar Turkije als AB-23
  • USS PGM-107 naar Thailand als T-13
  • USS PGM-108 naar Turkije als AB-24
  • USS PGM-109 naar Brazilië als Piratini (P 10)
  • USS PGM-110 naar Brazilië als Piraja (P 11)
  • USS PGM-111 naar Peru als Rio Chira (PC 12)
  • USS PGM-112 naar Iran als Bahram (PGM 212)
  • USS PGM-113 naar Thailand als T-14
  • USS PGM-114 naar Thailand als T-15
  • USS PGM-115 naar Thailand als T-16
  • USS PGM-116 naar Thailand als T-17
  • USS PGM-117 naar Thailand als T-18
  • USS PGM-118 naar Brazilië als Pampeio (P 12)
  • USS PGM-119 naar Brazilië als Parati (P 13)
  • USS PGM-120 naar Brazilië als Penedo (P 14)
  • USS PGM-121 naar Brazilië als Poti (P 15)
  • USS PGM-122 naar Iran als Nahid (PGM 213)
  • USS PGM-123 naar Thailand als T-19
  • USS PGM-124 naar Thailand als T-20

Arcata PC-601 - History

The Arcata unit is located in the Department of Arequipa in southern Peru, approximately 300 kilometres from the city of Arequipa, on a 47,000 hectare site, at an altitude of 4,600 metres above sea level. Arcata is a 100% owned underground operation. The Company began developing and preparing the Arcata mine in 1961 and the first concentrate was poured in 1964.

The mine was placed on temporary care and maintenance in February 2019.

Overview

The Arcata mine is conformed by vein systems where the epithermal vein deposits are of an intermediate sulphidation type with predominant silver values and variable quantities of gold and base metals. The main structures at Arcata are Mariana NE, Blanca, Amparo, Ramal Leslie, Alexia and Marion. The known structures at Arcata extend over 29 kilometres. The veins are mined by conventional and mechanised (trackless) cut-and-fill breast or overhand stoping methods utilising timber support. The plant at Arcata produced silver/gold bulk concentrate by flotation.


An Aerial View

The Humboldt County Historical Society has thousands of photographs highlighting our county's rich past. Included in this amazing collection are many aerial photographs. These aerial photos are a true view to the past, offering a glimpse at Humboldt from a perspective not seen by many. The images in this series show different communities in our county. Some of these images were originally commissioned by the engineering firm of Winzler & Kelly while others come from the David Swanlund collection.

The aerial photographs in this series show the Fortuna area in 1963, just one year before the devastation of the 1964 Flood changed much of our Humboldt landscape forever.

This image shows the Eel River and the area north of Fortuna, including the Palmer Creek area and Fernbridge.

This image shows the Eel River, North Fortuna, and the Palmer Creek area.

This photo shows Fortuna from approximately the area of 14th Street, north to the Palmer Creek area.

This photo shows Fortuna from Fortuna Boulevard, to the north end of town, and the areas east of Fortuna.

This image shows Fortuna, and on the area of Newberg.

This image is focused on the Newberg area.

This photo shows the Newberg area and timberland southeast of Fortuna.

This Photo shows the Eel River and Grizzly Bluff area.

This image shows North Fortuna, the Eel River, and the Grizzly Bluff area.

This shot of Fortuna shows the downtown Fortuna area, and what was once part of Fortuna’s industrial sector. Sawmills can be seen on both sides of the freeway, including the are of South 12th Street, now known as “Riverwalk.”

This image shows nearly all of Fortuna in 1963, excluding outlying communities like Rohnerville, and Campton Heights.

This image shows most of Fortuna, from Newberg north to the Rohner Park area, and west toward Rohnerville. a fledgling Redwood Memorial Hospital can be seen in this image as well.

This image shows the Newberg and Rohnerville areas including properties on the hills south of town.

This photograph shows timberland and properties south of Fortuna and Rohnerville.

/> /> />

The Aerial photos in this series give a birds-eye glimpse at Rohnerville in 1963. While Rohnerville is considered a part of Fortuna today, the communities were once quite distinct and separate from one another. These images show a Rohnerville that is just beginning to shift from farms and fields to subdivisions and family neighborhoods.

Despite being labeled "Rohnerville," this is an image of Fortuna, centered on Newberg Road just east of the 12th Street freeway entrance.

This photo shows Sandy Prairie Road and Campton Heights. The Royal Crest Mobile Estates, with its commanding view of the Eel River Valley from its perch at the end of School Street, can be seen in its infancy in this image.

This Photo shows the area of Newberg.

This image shows Rohnerville Road and Redwood Memorial Hospital.

This image shows the community of Campton Heights, from School Street south to Drake Hill Road.

This photo shows the west end of the airstrip at the Rohnerville Municipal Airport.

This image shows the area of Newberg, southeast of Fortuna.

This photo shows Rohnerville, and Rohnerville Road from School Street north to the Ambrosini Elementary School.

This photo shows the airstrip and hangars at the Rohnerville Municipal Airport.

This image of South Fortuna shows the Kenmar Road freeway exit, Ross Hill, and the Clay Brown/Fortuna Mills site at South 12th Street, known today as Riverwalk.

This image shows Fortuna at the Kenmar Road area. You can clearly see the remains of the old racetrack, an early site for the Humboldt County Fair.

The following aerial photos show Fortuna and the surrounding area in 1974, ten years after the devastating flood of 1964.

This image of Fortuna shows the town from the area of the Highway 101 12th Street exit to the north end of town and beyond. The image also shows the Newburg area.

Fortuna is seen in this image showing much of the town, including a big, empty field where the Redwood Village Shopping Center stands today. The image also shows the Newburg and Strong's Creek area.

This image shows most of the Fortuna/Rohnerville/Newburg area, and some of Campton Heights area. The Eel River and Highway 101 parallel each other on the left side of this image.

This aerial image shows Fortuna and Newburg, as well as the Eel River and Highway 101 from the Kenmar Exit at the bottom-left of the photo, to the Main Street exit at the top-left.

This image is nearly identical to the previous photo, showing Fortuna, Rohnerville, Newburg, and part of the Campton Heights area, in addition to Highway 101 and the Eel River.

This photo shows Fortuna from the area of the Highway 101 12th Street exit to the Main Street exit. It also shows the area of Newburg and the Strong's Creek drainage.

This aerial photo shows Fortuna, Rohnerville, and the Campton Heights area, with the Rohnerville Municipal Airport at the bottom-left of the image.

This is an aerial photo of Fortuna, including Rohnerville and the Campton Heights area.

This aerial photograph shows the town of Fortuna. The Eel River and Highway 101 can be seen at the left of the image.

The next series of photographs shows part of Eureka in 1965.

This aerial shows (L to R) Humboldt Bay, Northwest Pacific Railroad, Highway 101, Jacobs Ave., Eureka Slough. Murray Field’s decommissioned runway 7 can be seen at the top of the frame. Notice the log rafts in the Eureka Slough.

At the left of the frame is the Eureka Slough and more than a dozen log rafts. The slough can also be seen at the top adjacent to the log pond at the end of Park St. Notice the radio towers next to the slough at the end of Marsh St.

This aerial shows (L to R) the end of Marsh St. to 18th and (Top to Bottom) the Eureka Slough to Lafayette School. At the top center of the frame is a log pond and mill located at the end of Park St.

This aerial shows (L to R) Park St. to Trinity St. Quaker St. connects the two at the center of the frame. At the top left is a log pond and mill located at the end of Park St adjacent to the Eureka Slough

This aerial shows (L to R) 18th St. to Erie St. Quaker St. bisects the photo horizontally as it does the Cottage Garden Nursery at the center right of the frame. Myrtle Ave. is visible at the bottom right, while Ryan Slough and bridge is visible at the top right.

This aerial shows (L to R) Edgewood Rd. to Harris St. bisected by Myrtle Ave. Worthington School can be seen to the left of the bend in Myrtle Ave. At the top of the frame Ryan Slough and bridge is visible, while Cottage Garden Nursery is at the center left.

This aerial shows (L to R) Pennsylvania Ave. to Redwood Acres. At the top left of the frame the Ryan Slough bridge is visible. The intersections of Myrtle Ave., Hall Ave, Harris St. and Hubbard Lane can be seen in the center of the frame.

This aerial shows (L to R) Harris St. to Ryan Creek. Redwood Acres is in the center of the frame. The second growth McKay Tract forest begins behind and below.

This aerial shows (L to R) Humboldt Bay, Northwest Pacific Railroad, Highway 101, Jacobs Ave., Eureka Slough. Bay St. can be seen at the bottom right of the frame. Above it are Third Slough, the intersection of John Hill Rd., North St., Essex St. and Vernon St., and the John Hill Brickyard.

This aerial shows Jacobs Ave. and the Eureka Slough on the left. Bay St. can be seen at the bottom of the frame terminating at Myrtle Ave. below its intersection with Harrison Ave. Above Bay St. are Third Slough then Hoover to John Hill Rd. Marsh Rd. is at the top of the frame.

This aerial shows (Top to Bottom) Marsh Rd. between its intersections with Nedra Ave. and Lincoln St. Below Lincoln St. is Lafayette School. Myrtle Ave. is at the bottom left of the frame as it cuts through Third Slough above its intersections with Harrison Ave. and Bay St.

This aerial shows (Top to Bottom) Marsh Rd. between its intersections with Nedra Ave. and Lincoln St. Below Lincoln St. is Lafayette School. At bottom left, Myrtle Ave. cuts through Third Slough above its intersection with Harrison Ave. The streets border the Third Slough greenbelt for its entire length. Lucas St. is visible as it bisects the greenbelt ending between 18th and 19th streets.

At the bottom of the frame is General Hospital and Harrison Ave. from 17th St. to Renfrew St. Directly across the Third Slough greenbelt from the hospital campus is Sacred Heart Church on Myrtle Ave. between Edgewood Rd. and Kolb Lane. Part of the Cottage Garden Nursery can be seen at the top right of the frame.

At the bottom left of the frame is General Hospital on Harrison Ave. Directly across the Third Slough greenbelt from the hospital campus is Sacred Heart Church on Myrtle Ave. between Edgewood Rd. and Kolb Lane. At top center of the frame is part of the Cottage Garden Nursery. Both sections of Hubbard Lane can be seen intersecting Myrtle at top right.

At the bottom of the frame is Harrison Ave. from Buhne St. to Chester St. On the right is Harris St. from Harrison to Hubbard Lane and Redwood Acres. In the top left corner of the frame Myrtle Ave. from Glenwood St. to Russell Lane can be seen.

This aerial show Harris St. from Harrison Ave. to Hubbard Lane and Redwood Acres. To the right of Harris is the northern end of the McKay Tract forest (today much of the tract is part of the McKay Community Forest).

These next images are from the David Swanlund Collection, and show the Arcata area from an aerial-oblique, or window-seat view around 1969. Captions by Don Tuttle.

View east in Arcata of junction of 299 and 101, Mad River, Janes Road, Guintoli Lane. c1969.

View southwest in Arcata of Westwood Village, Sunset Avenue, Bloomfield, Arcata High School. c1969

View northeast of Arcata. c1969

View east in Arcata of Alliance, Spear Road, Upper Bay Road, and Janes Road. c1969

View northeast of Arcata with old site of California Barrel in foreground. c1969

View west in Arcata of the new intersection of 101 and Samoa Blvd. c1969

View east in Arcata of Westwood Village area. Twin Parks Mill with teepee burner. c1969

View west over Humboldt State University. c1969

View west over Arcata with 11th and 14th street bridges over 101. c1969

View north in Arcata of new intersection of 101 and Samoa Blvd. c1969

View east of Arcata with 11th street in the center and McDaniel Slough in foreground. c1969

View north of Arcata with new 101/Samoa Blvd. intersection. c1969

View of Founders Hall at Humboldt State University. c1969

View west of Arcata with Humboldt State University in foreground and 11th street on left edge of photo. c1969

View north of Humboldt State University campus. c1969

View northeast in Arcata of the new 101/Samoa Blvd. intersection. Old Arcata Road and Fickle Hill Road in background. c1969


Watch the video: Arcata, CA